Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: GEICO Diminished Value Claim Rep: We don't report to CARFAX

1. Member
      Vehicles
      69 LeMans conv; 12 BMW 328i; 12 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
      09-26-2012 12:08 PM #1
      My 2009 Odyssey was rear-ended last year by a GEICO insured. Around $3,900 worth of damage, new tailgate, new bumper skin, new bumper, paint. All cosmetic, no structural damage.

I'm ready to trade, so I get in touch with GEICO, who paid for the damage, about a diminished value claim. They assign an adjuster to it, who tells me over the phone that GEICO doesn't report to CARFAX. I didn't follow-up with him about whether this was below a particular threshold, but I thought it was odd.

Just to get an idea of what diminished value I might be able to claim, I went to the Toyota dealer to get appraised, with full disclosure that the car had been rear-ended and what had been fixed. They pulled the CARFAX, which was excellent because the car has below-average miles and has been maintained only by the Honda dealer. Since the CARFAX is clean, they didn't seem to care, and the appraisal value came out in line with multiple sources. Bottom line, I'm not seeing any diminished value.

I find it odd that GEICO wouldn't report to CARFAX. Anyone have insight as to why they don't? Maybe so it won't influence diminished value claims?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 Porsche 911T, 1993 VW Corrado VR6, 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup
      09-26-2012 12:29 PM #2
      I have nothing to add other than WTF! Goes to show that you can't always trust the Carfax reports.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Civic Type H
      09-26-2012 12:42 PM #3
      uh, like nobody reports to carfax, carfax digs up the data on their own.

Vehicles
      '12 Honda Pilot EX-L, '11 Kia Optima LX
      09-26-2012 12:46 PM #4
      My Accord had a clean Carfax when purchased as CPO.

Then two years later I was in an accident and pulled the Carfax after for a diminished value claim. Two more accidents appeared on the report from the 1st owner. My guess when Carfax updated the report, it must have triggered the old accidents that not been previously reported? Or maybe it had to do with the state catching up on their backlogged paperwork?

All I know is that Carfax is useless. And regardless of what Geico reports, if there was an accident report, most towns/cities/states report accidents to Carfax.
      My flickr
      "The best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it." - Harry S. Truman

5. 09-26-2012 12:46 PM #5
      I know someone who wrecked there evo into a ditch.. Smashed the bumper, rear quarter panel, wrinkled the roof.. On the carfax it STILL shows clean title.. And insurance paid to fix it.. (over 10k)

My jetta from the first wreck still showed clean title at the time the jetta was with 11,500.. The damage was 7,250.. Still showed clean on carfax.

Vehicles
      65 Volvo 1800S, 12 GLI Autobahn
      09-26-2012 12:50 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by mike02467 View Post
      Every accident I've ever had has never shown up on carfax. Carfax is a joke.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      09-26-2012 12:51 PM #7
      GEICO is the shadiest corporation known to man. Got hit by one of their insureds, long story short, they don't accept a passenger's witness statement for an accident. Guy broadsided my car and because he lied on the crash report, he got away scott free.

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      09-26-2012 01:07 PM #8
      I've been in the car industry for years, and I can tell you that carfax is useless. The only reason dealers use it is because the public is fed commercials daily about show me the carfax this and that.

9. 09-26-2012 01:09 PM #9
      Insurance companies only report title changes like when a vehicle is declared a total loss. Repair shops are actually the ones that generally report to CarFax for frame damage etc.

See this link from CarFax directly: http://www.carfax.com/about/data_sources.cfx

With the DV claim what you should do is get hit with the actual dim value first and then submit the claim to Geico for reimbursement. Most insurance companies will either give a really low DV value or not give you anything at all until you actually incur the loss. Trade the vehicle in and have dealer write everything up showing what was deducted and why and send that to Geico for review.

*edit* I see you didnt even get hit with any dim value, cool stuff.

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SE V6, 06 GTI 150Km!
      09-26-2012 04:40 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      GEICO is the shadiest corporation known to man. Got hit by one of their insureds, long story short, they don't accept a passenger's witness statement for an accident. Guy broadsided my car and because he lied on the crash report, he got away scott free.
      I've heard nothing but bad stuff about Geico...get ONE tic, rates go sky high plus this...

"Back when Seagulls were flocking, a small electronics company called LTI was in grave danger of going broke. They had but one product: a speed detection device (a.k.a. gun) that used laser light instead of radio waves. LTI’s laser gun was a $3500 item. Police agencies could outfit three patrol cars with state-of-the-art radar detection devices for that kind of money. Laser guns were DOA. And then the lizard people stepped in.

In a brilliant merger of public relations and greed, GEICO bailed out LTI. The insurance company bought LTI’s newfangled laser guns. In ceremonies held in each State nationwide, GEICO donated a few laser systems to the State Police or large local agencies. This produced many, many photos of a GEICO rep giving a high tech laser gun to the head of the local and/or State police agency in many, many newspapers in the many states where GEICO does business."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...here-be-light/

Vehicles
      1997 NA Miata, 2013 Golf 4-door
      09-26-2012 04:45 PM #11
      Carfax uses a different system to pull info on VINs.

12. 09-26-2012 04:52 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by BODH1 View Post
      Carfax uses a different system to pull info on VINs.
      well, its defninitely not good and they should honor their "buy back guarantee"

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      09-26-2012 04:53 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      I always assumed that passenger's witness statements are never used. Not just GEICO.

Vehicles
      A bicycle.
      09-26-2012 04:54 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      This

15. 09-26-2012 05:37 PM #15
      As someone that works in the auto repair industry. Carfax means NOTHING.

We have had cars with certificate of destruction and the titles got cleaned up. My car has been in 5 hard crashes over the years, still has clean carfax, in my experience insurance companies don't report, if there was a police report then carfax knows... and even then you can clean it up.

However, on the other hand, people are too uptight about previously crashed cars. There's shops that can make a car look better than it did when it was brand new, better paint, closer gaps, and they charge less than American shops (American owned shops are usually the most overpriced for the same or worse work).

I've seen a Maxima with 230k miles and a certificate of destruction get sold with 80k miles and a clean title with 1 owner, and the car looked and drove like new.

16. 09-26-2012 05:47 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      I always assumed that passenger's witness statements are never used. Not just GEICO.
      They aren't. They are considered a partial witness.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition, 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP
      09-26-2012 06:09 PM #17
      I was there when a carfax sales guy told my buddy (who owns a car lot) "It all depends when they report to us, you can buy a car at auction and see single owner and clean. You can put it on your lot for sale, run the carfax again and find out it was a total loss and rebuilt."

I wasn't sure why he was using this as a sales pitch...

He also claimed that it was the police and all that fed the info to them and they had no idea when information is reported.

My buddy has used AutoCheck to submit to Carfax to clean up their report on a car. I wouldn't pay for a carfax again after finding out all this info.
      2001 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition

09-26-2012 06:31 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by mike02467 View Post
      This.

Do people really think that insurance companies call up Carfax with the VINs of cars that have been in accidents?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      09-26-2012 11:24 PM #19
      Wife was in an accident this past year in her '11 Outback, car was rear-ended by a Silverado that pushed a three day old Hyundai Accent into the rear of my wifes car. Only $2100 in damages, basically a new bumper, the reinforcement behind the bumper and the foam padding. less than an hour of body work to rear body panel and yep it was turned into CARFAX, by whom I don't know but I always heard it was DMV if over $500 in repairs.

We tried to trade the car in and Subaru deducted -$4000 on their offer to buy the car. The real truth though is that if your in an accident, try to settle the claim in cash (Yes I know a can of worms and impossible) but wether the damage is $500 or $20K nobody will know if you just pay it cash.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      09-26-2012 11:28 PM #20
      Why would you wait until possibly years after the crash to claim for diminished value? I've heard of people doing that during the repair process.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      09-26-2012 11:34 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      I've been in the car industry for years, and I can tell you that carfax is useless. The only reason dealers use it is because the public is fed commercials daily about show me the carfax this and that.

this. no one is required to report anything to carfax. carfax is a private company that makes tons of money off everyone who doesn't have a clue.

your best carfax? open the trunk, pull back the carpeting, bring a magnet covered in velvet/fabric so you don't scratch the paint, open the hood and inspect. inspect inspect inspect. check door wells, check under side, check the chasis, go over that car with a fine tooth comb b/c carfax is useless.

Blog Entries
      09-26-2012 11:36 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      My Accord had a clean Carfax when purchased as CPO.

Then two years later I was in an accident and pulled the Carfax after for a diminished value claim. Two more accidents appeared on the report from the 1st owner. My guess when Carfax updated the report, it must have triggered the old accidents that not been previously reported? Or maybe it had to do with the state catching up on their backlogged paperwork?

All I know is that Carfax is useless. And regardless of what Geico reports, if there was an accident report, most towns/cities/states report accidents to Carfax.
      I echo this story.

Bought a CPO car with dealer-touted clean Carfox.

I have weird problems, bring the car back - find evidence of damage in the headlights, engine and bumper covers, wheels, tires, etc...

Car has been wrecked before.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      09-27-2012 12:25 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      I echo this story.

Bought a CPO car with dealer-touted clean Carfox.

I have weird problems, bring the car back - find evidence of damage in the headlights, engine and bumper covers, wheels, tires, etc...

Car has been wrecked before.

did you get your money back? i mean basically they fraudulently sold you a car.

24. Senior Member
      09-27-2012 01:03 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      All I know is that Carfax is useless.
      It is not useless -- if there is stuff on the Carfax report, that is reason to be extra suspicious.

However, a "clean" Carfax does not necessarily mean that the car has not been crashed. One still has to be suspicious of any used car for which one does not personally know the history.

I.e. Carfax is useful if it is "dirty", not so much if it is "clean".
      Last edited by tjl; 09-27-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      09-27-2012 01:14 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      It is not useless -- if there is stuff on the Carfax report, that is reason to be extra suspicious.

However, a "clean" Carfax does not necessarily mean that the car has not been crashed. One still has to be suspicious of any used car for which one does not personally know the history.

I.e. Carfax is useful if it is "dirty", not so much if it is "clean".
      Exactly. Carfax is a black list, not a white list.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      09-27-2012 01:24 AM #26
      I wouldn't expect any insurer to report to Carfax. That's not the same as Carfax going to the insurer and paying for a report, which I don't doubt happens.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      2012 CC R Line, 2007 Passat Wagon, 2001 Jetta VR6, 1993 Corrado SLC, 1973 Ford Capri
      01-18-2014 10:17 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Why would you wait until possibly years after the crash to claim for diminished value? I've heard of people doing that during the repair process.
      Because your value isn't really diminished until you sell.

Why would I feel like I was entitled to diminished value on a 1 year old car if I intended to drive it for another 12 years/250K miles? At that point it won't have any diminished value from accident damage.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      01-18-2014 10:22 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Carfax is about the biggest ripoff there is. They managed to get one hell of a monopoly going and they do what it takes to protect it. I unfortunately get people asking to see reports on cars that are way too old to even have a report - yet to make a deal, I have to buy them. It's seriously expensive for a whole bunch of nothing - who give's a rats crapper if the 20 year old Porsche you're about to buy had its registration renewed 15 times. 99 times out of 100 you can tell what you're looking at by looking at it.

My Mini had a spotless carfax but I have a pretty strong suspicion that it's been hit before - not bad enough to wrinkle anything structurally, but there are few clues that lead me to strongly believe it's had a fender (or bumper) bender. Not a big deal in the end, but the Carfax makes not a single mention of it. Maybe I can sue them.
      Last edited by geofftii2002; 01-18-2014 at 10:24 AM.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      '13 ATS 2.0T, '13 Lexus RX350 AWD,'69 280SEL, '68 C10 SWB Stepside
      01-18-2014 10:23 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by randyvr6 View Post
      Because your value isn't really diminished until you sell.

Why would I feel like I was entitled to diminished value on a 1 year old car if I intended to drive it for another 12 years/250K miles? At that point it won't have any diminished value from accident damage.
      why are you replying to a poster from a 2 year old thread that was dragged up by a spammer?
      so it goes... ಠ_ಠ

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      01-18-2014 10:24 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by HASSELHOF View Post
      why are you replying to a poster from a 2 year old thread that was dragged up by a spammer?
      Damnit. I didn't even notice that.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

01-18-2014 10:25 AM #31
      Still a relevant thread. It's true, GEICO doesn't report to Carfax. Sold my 2012 C30 T5 that was hit by a GEICO insured. Good body shop made it look new and that car was sold sold sold.
      2011 328xiT/6 - 1999 M3/2/5 - 2000 323iT/5

01-18-2014 10:27 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Carfax is about the biggest ripoff there is. They managed to get one hell of a monopoly going and they do what it takes to protect it. I unfortunately get people asking to see reports on cars that are way too old to even have a report - yet to make a deal, I have to buy them. It's seriously expensive for a whole bunch of nothing - who give's a rats crapper if the 20 year old Porsche you're about to buy had its registration renewed 15 times. 99 times out of 100 you can tell what you're looking at by looking at it.

My Mini had a spotless carfax but I have a pretty strong suspicion that it's been hit before - not bad enough to wrinkle anything structurally, but there are few clues that lead me to strongly believe it's had a fender (or bumper) bender. Not a big deal in the end, but the Carfax makes not a single mention of it. Maybe I can sue them.
      Haha very true. My M3 has five owners and a bad CarFax, would steer people away but guess what, it's a 15 year-old car with a replaced rear bumper. What doesn't show up on the CarFax is the replaced front fender, repainted hood, and new front bumper from a spin in the ditch by the PO.

850R has a spotless Carfax (remarkable for an old car) but some crappy Maaco paintjob on the passenger side of the car.
      2011 328xiT/6 - 1999 M3/2/5 - 2000 323iT/5

33. Member
      Vehicles
      93 D250 Cummins 07 Outback
      01-18-2014 11:56 AM #33
      So what does one do if you were shown a clean car fax with 2 owners when bought, as is mind you, and you go to trade it in only to find out your owner 4 and the first one had an accident? Now my dealer wants $2500 less trade in on my Suburban because of this.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      Toyota Sienna Crossover SUV,Nissan GT-R
      01-18-2014 12:17 PM #34
      Insurance company doesn't report to CARFAX. Which is why you want to use a paint depth gauge.

They get info from:

Branded titles, includingsalvage/junk, flood and more
      Truth in Mileage Act (TIMA) certified odometer readings
      Manufacturer buybacks or lemon titles
      Registration records, including original vehicle use and city/state where the vehicle was registered
      Accident damage reports
      Stolen vehicles
      Ownership transfers
      Lien information

01-18-2014 03:55 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by HASSELHOF View Post
      Who cares.
      I like cars.