Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: KY Jelly as a lubricant for your Heart Rate Monitor?

1. 12-02-2011 11:04 AM #1
      So yeah... in the colder/dryer months my heart rate monitor hasn't been working for the first few minutes. I've tried water (which sucks), my saliva (which is decent but dries up too fast, and then... i realized the the Heart Rate Monitor is like an EKG and I remember getting electro stimulus on my tendons back in college and they used this lube that looked and felt just like KY Jelly.

and I just so happened to have some around (haha....) and I've been using it for the last few weeks and it works EVERYTIMe. Great connection, etc. It's just a water based lubricant and I think it's pretty similar to that electro stimulus stuff they use for tendons and for when they go in to see the baby (wow.. drawing a blank on the word for that).

anyone else do this? I think it's genius and you don't even need a lot. Literally like 1/4 of the size of a dime can go on both your cheset and the heart rate monitor.

anyone.... anyone.... bueler...

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      12-02-2011 11:41 AM #2
      It should work just fine, I remember using some type of substance like that in our exercise physiology class when we were doing lab tests. Although, I have never needed anything for my heart rate monitors to work correctly.

As long as you wash it off after each use, I say go for it. It might degrade the unit slightly if you do not wash it off promptly though.

3. 12-02-2011 12:05 PM #3
      yeah i always rinse off extremly well my watch, glasses, and HR monitor after every use.

honestly - i think the salt from my sweat is more corrosive than the ky jelly. and i really only use the smallest amount and mix it in with my saliva (gross.. but i don't want it being all weird in the beginning).

I do have the premium garmin one that came with my forerunner 310xt watch.

4. Member
      12-02-2011 08:11 PM #4
      when it gets real cold you can use the warming sensation...

5. 12-17-2011 10:13 PM #5
      bahahha! love it!

Vehicles
      71 Fiat 850, 88 Saab 900s, 97 Ranger, 01 JGC
      12-18-2011 05:24 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by wearyourtruth View Post
      when it gets real cold you can use the warming sensation...
      who needs embrocation