Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automotive inspired baby names

Vehicles
      '13 Cayenne Diesel, '08 Passat Variant 2.0T Stg 2, '81 ABA Caddy
      10-19-2010 03:10 PM #1
      My wife and I are expecting our first (boy) late November/early December and are having trouble coming up with names we love. I thought that this might be kind of fun to get some ideas that revolve around the automotive world. I would only use a name like this if it was good and not just to do it. Some examples:

Nash
      Tucker
      Hudson
      Cam
      Axle (meh)
      Sprocket (a bit cheesy)

What do you have? It could be inspired by a part, car, brand, raceway, livery, anything at all. Lets hear em.

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      10-19-2010 03:32 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by boraIV View Post
      My wife and I are expecting our first (boy) late November/early December and are having trouble coming up with names we love. I thought that this might be kind of fun to get some ideas that revolve around the automotive world. I would only use a name like this if it was good and not just to do it. Some examples:

Nash
      Tucker
      Hudson
      Cam
      Axle (meh)
      Sprocket (a bit cheesy)

What do you have? It could be inspired by a part, car, brand, raceway, livery, anything at all. Lets hear em.
      Wife's stepdad is named Cameron. Everyone calls him Cam.

Otherwise, I can't think of any that my kid wouldn't hate me for. Unless you name a girl Elise, that'd be ok.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      10-19-2010 03:45 PM #3
      There's a 4 year old around the corner named Mercedes. Guess what Mom drives?

Lexus was popular in the late 90's: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect..._of_Lexus.html

Here's a family that named their kids Lexus, Porsche and Audi: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/09/t...sche-and-audi/

Personal opinion - don't do it. Think of what their names will sound like when they are grandparents. Nana Tiffany IMHO sounds silly.

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SE
      10-19-2010 07:06 PM #4
      Valve
      Stroker
      Ram
      Tailpipe
      Header
      Piston
      Rod

there's no way any of those names would be made fun of...

5. 10-19-2010 11:08 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      There's a 4 year old around the corner named Mercedes. Guess what Mom drives?

Lexus was popular in the late 90's: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect..._of_Lexus.html

Here's a family that named their kids Lexus, Porsche and Audi: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/09/t...sche-and-audi/

Personal opinion - don't do it. Think of what their names will sound like when they are grandparents. Nana Tiffany IMHO sounds silly.
      So you are saying Mercedes future will involve being a stripper......

and lets not forget, Ram Rod!

Vehicles
      10-19-2010 11:13 PM #6
      Don't worry, I wouldn't do anything cheesy or that doesn't sound like a name in the first place. I honestly think that Nash, Tucker, or Hudson are fine names. Mercedes, Lexus, etc, not so much.

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan 07 Suzi Swift
      10-19-2010 11:18 PM #7
      You can always work it with initials. My daughter was an MGB and since she's married she's an MGA, both classic British sports cars !!
      Derek
      Alexandra New Zealand
      Second Tig, 2013, TDi, Auto, night blue, park assist 2, auto lights and wipers, RCD510, fogs, tow pack
      http://www.alexandra.co.nz/

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      10-20-2010 12:46 AM #8
      My nephew is named Hudson....I like it. Just find a nice balance between something nice, unique and what you like (but don't forget...after childhood, your kid is the one who has to live with it)...but don't go the route of being unique for the sake of being unique. Like Apple or Moon Child. Let us not forget the Kenya West song about naming a child Lexus .
      Th(e/a)n

9. Banned
      Vehicles
      BIG BLOCK DODGE
      10-20-2010 04:24 AM #9
      my indian friend's kid must be named packard, as everyone calls him packie.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      10-20-2010 11:11 AM #10
      I've met several exotic dancers with names like Lexus, Mercedes, Bentley, Porsche, etc.

Vehicles
      10-20-2010 12:36 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by blckbadged_swisschee View Post
      my nephew is named hudson....i like it. Just find a nice balance between something nice, unique and what you like (but don't forget...after childhood, your kid is the one who has to live with it)...but don't go the route of being unique for the sake of being unique. like apple or moon child. Let us not forget the kenya west song about naming a child lexus .
      exactly!

12. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      10-20-2010 02:04 PM #12
      I think Elise and Portia are probably as 'car related' as you can swing without sounding too out there. Hudson is interesting, but not my style.

I heard once that the name a child is given directly correlates with their future job profession and income level as they get older. Some of the more 'unique' names out there are so unique that they won't be taken seriously, accepted into schools or even called for job interviews...

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta 2.5
      10-20-2010 02:31 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjunkie View Post
      I think Elise and Portia are probably as 'car related' as you can swing without sounding too out there. Hudson is interesting, but not my style.

I heard once that the name a child is given directly correlates with their future job profession and income level as they get older. Some of the more 'unique' names out there are so unique that they won't be taken seriously, accepted into schools or even called for job interviews...
      I kinda miss just regular names, all my cousins are doing super well for themselves, name? Rob, Kim, Kara, Brian, Bill, Steve, Morgan. Makes you think, what's in a name?

14. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-20-2010 02:46 PM #14
      It is interesting. The study seemed to be a bit more specific to ethnic sounding names, although that wasn't always the case.

I like old fashioned old people names.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      10-20-2010 02:58 PM #15
      I somehow weaseled my wife into letting my daughter's CARa and Elise.

16. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      10-20-2010 03:05 PM #16
      i dont have plans for offspring at all. so hopefully i never have to worry about it, but i would TRY to use a famous F1 drivers name if i could fit it in without him sounding silly as an automotive tie in. naming your kid after a car PART is setting him up for an interesting future (read the book freakonomics and the section regarding baby names)

I think using a famous presidents last name as a first name is a bad ass move, personally.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

17. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      10-20-2010 03:31 PM #17
      Something about seeing infants and toddlers called....Beatrice, Margie, Ethel, Esther, etc... makes me think should that become popular...the world WILL end. Old people and their bee hive hairdo's are a lot like the Holocaust, they were evil, a part of history and nobody wants to experience them again
      Th(e/a)n

Vehicles
      '13 CSG GTI -2011 Routan SE/RSE - '67 Beetle
      10-20-2010 03:47 PM #18
      What about "Bentley" (Little boy on the MTV Show Teen Mom)
      13 CSG Wolfsburg GTI
      11 Routan SE/RSE
      67 Beetle (project car)
      Previous 08 CW R32 # 154 (Traded in 5-29-13) 02 Passat Wagon (Traded in, was such a great car)

19. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      10-20-2010 03:52 PM #19
      It is interesting. The study seemed to be a bit more specific to ethnic sounding names, although that wasn't always the case.

yea that was in freakonomics ffj - basically the more y's and z's in a name to make it cool, the worse chance the kid has in life.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

20. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-20-2010 07:10 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by BlckBadged_SwissChee View Post
      Something about seeing infants and toddlers called....Beatrice, Margie, Ethel, Esther, etc... makes me think should that become popular...the world WILL end. Old people and their bee hive hairdo's are a lot like the Holocaust, they were evil, a part of history and nobody wants to experience them again
      I wasn't talking about THOSE kinds of names ...but formal long names: William, Frederick, Elizabeth, etc. Makes you sound like you could run for office, or at worst, become an attorney

Vehicles
      2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 BlueTEC
      10-21-2010 12:12 AM #21
      Sprocket (a bit cheesy)
      Do not name your kid Sprocket.
      Chris
      "All hail Dr. Chris, doctor of money medicine!" --Tornado2dr
      "annuity = financial abortion." --jnm2.0t

Vehicles
      2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 BlueTEC
      10-21-2010 12:28 AM #22
      It's like they held their newborn children and thought, "Hmm, what names will guarantee that these precious little bundles of joy will grow up to have sex with strange men for money? I know!!! Lexus, Porsche and Audi! PERFECT!"

Think of what their names will sound like when they are grandparents. Nana Tiffany IMHO sounds silly.
      It seems silly now because Tiffany is currently thought of as a youthful name. However, I'm sure there was a time when a name like Ruth or Helen seemed youthful but now as those women have aged and new names became popular, those names sound "old." No offense to any Tiffanys or Ambers but I think those names that currently sound dated in a young way will eventually sound dated in an old way as those women age and another set of names becomes popular.

BTW, I don't mean to pick on female names. I just stuck with it because you mentioned Tiffany. There are definitely male names that sound dated, both young and old.
      Chris
      "All hail Dr. Chris, doctor of money medicine!" --Tornado2dr
      "annuity = financial abortion." --jnm2.0t

Vehicles
      '13 CSG GTI -2011 Routan SE/RSE - '67 Beetle
      10-22-2010 10:06 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMD View Post
      It's like they held their newborn children and thought, "Hmm, what names will guarantee that these precious little bundles of joy will grow up to have sex with strange men for money? I know!!! Lexus, Porsche and Audi! PERFECT!"

Look up "Cupcake Brown"

She had a rough life but turned it around and became an attorney.

Also, i work with a woman named Porsche...she is also an Attorney. Although, i will say that she may be in the minority when it comes to that name.
      13 CSG Wolfsburg GTI
      11 Routan SE/RSE
      67 Beetle (project car)
      Previous 08 CW R32 # 154 (Traded in 5-29-13) 02 Passat Wagon (Traded in, was such a great car)

Vehicles
      2006 Cayman S
      10-22-2010 11:48 AM #24

Nash
      Tucker
      Hudson
      Cam
      Axle (meh)
      Sprocket (a bit cheesy)

My take on your options

Nash - Sounds cool
      Tucker - Makes me think of a pre-op tranny
      Hudson - My favorite, I'd use it if I ever had a boy
      Cam - Vaguely feminine-ish imo
      Axle (meh) - meh
      Sprocket (a bit cheesy) - big no-no

Other options off hand

Chev (Chevrolet)
      Manny (Manifold lol)
      Casey (crank case)
      Barry (bearing, ok I'm reaching)

10-22-2010 04:59 PM #25
      My wife and I are friends with a couple who named their three kids:

Jordan
      Kacey
      Taylor

I think all three of them are nice, but I won't tell you their gender. Figured it would be more fun to guess.

I like gender specific names. Kelly is one of the few names I think works for both genders, but even when I hear that name, I think of a girl. I'm with ffj - I like normal names. If I wanted to have a cute name for my children for their younger years, I would have just given them a nickname or something. Then when they get to a certain age, they could tell me they wanted to be called by either their first, middle or nickname. Or something else all together different.

26. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-22-2010 05:43 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by peecee View Post
      My wife and I are friends with a couple who named their three kids:

Jordan
      Kacey
      Taylor

I think all three of them are nice, but I won't tell you their gender. Figured it would be more fun to guess.

I like gender specific names. Kelly is one of the few names I think works for both genders, but even when I hear that name, I think of a girl. I'm with ffj - I like normal names. If I wanted to have a cute name for my children for their younger years, I would have just given them a nickname or something. Then when they get to a certain age, they could tell me they wanted to be called by either their first, middle or nickname. Or something else all together different.
      I'm gonna guess:

1. Girl
      2. Girl
      3. Boy

?

I love long, formal names for that reason. So many options! I never got that with my name, and I really don't care for short names because of that reason.

Vehicles
      vaudi
      10-23-2010 09:48 PM #27
      Friends of my brother named thier son Corrado. They are not VW lovers at all.

10-25-2010 05:09 AM #28
      New auto name I heard yesterday...Royce. It's a family name that's been in use for at least 5 generations according to my friend. He told me that his great (x4) grandfather was friends with Henry Royce (Rolls-Royce co-"founder"), and that started the trend.

And I'm surprised nobody mentioned Cadillac.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      97 Jetta GT, 12 Turbo Beetle
      10-25-2010 01:20 PM #29
      what about van or cooper ??

my thing is the first name has to flow with the last name.

30. 10-25-2010 04:40 PM #30
      I had friend's that I autocrossed with that supposedly named their daughter after my car, Jetta. It's kind of a pretty name for a girl but at the same time, I wouldn't do that to a kid

Vehicles
      '02 Allroad
      10-27-2010 11:05 AM #31
      We almost named one of our daughters Claire Elise but once we found out it was twins we couldn't find any names that went with Exige or Esprit

Vehicles
      '02 Allroad
      10-27-2010 11:06 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by huje View Post
      I had friend's that I autocrossed with that supposedly named their daughter after my car, Jetta. It's kind of a pretty name for a girl but at the same time, I wouldn't do that to a kid
      WOW, poor kid

Vehicles
      B3 VR6
      10-29-2010 08:17 AM #33
      my kid's name is audrey (no, not after hepburn). rather, if you pronounce audi the proper way (it's aw-dee, not ow-dee) and add an r, you get audrey. i was going for audri, but the wife overruled.

it beats miley jetta (my second choice).

i have a friend who named their kid passat. he HATES vw, but his family is all merchant marines and they used to depend on the tradewinds and such i guess.

Vehicles
      06 Miata, 07 Magnum, 06 Mazda 3
      11-03-2010 09:22 AM #34
      My mom was a first grade teacher for 30 years, and saw generations of kids being named recklessly....turning last names into first names (Mackenzie, Madison), to naming kids after cars (as seen above), to creating a "new" name out of two normal names (Brayden, Kaylyn).
      You can guess her opinion on the topic...some parents think it's their god given right to put their "unique" stamp on their children's names, when in practice, you sentence your kid to spelling their name for the rest of their life....and having to explain to the world that your mom and dad thought it would be cool to tell the world they are illiterate.

Sorry, rant over.
      I feel sorry for some of these kids. There are a million normal, beautiful names. Telling the world how creative and unique you are makes you neither.
      2006 MX-5
      2007 Magnum
      2006 Mazda 3

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta 2.5
      11-03-2010 09:38 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by mk4_2.ho View Post
      my kid's name is audrey (no, not after hepburn). rather, if you pronounce audi the proper way (it's aw-dee, not ow-dee) and add an r, you get audrey. i was going for audri, but the wife overruled.
      I like the entusiasm but really? aw-dee makes it sound like you're trying to hard. It's ow-dee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast