Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2002 VW Passat 1.8T Won't Start

1. 03-27-2008 01:51 PM #1
      Tries and tries to crank but never starts. Tried hooking it up to a battery charger, no luck. Tried jump starting. No luck. Last drove the car on Tuesday with no problems. No CEL or anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Billy

2. 03-27-2008 01:57 PM #2
      i'm assuming there's gas in it?

look in the faq - there are reasons why car won't start.

did the work for you:

No Start: Battery - ECU, Fuel Pump Relay, Ground

3. 03-27-2008 02:06 PM #3
      Yes, there's gas in it. A little over a quarter of the tank.

I did look at the FAQ, and have been trying to search the forums on how to test the ECU, Fuel Pump Relay, and Ground, but haven't had any luck.

How do I go about ruling those out as possbile problems?

Thanks,

Billy

4. 03-27-2008 02:10 PM #4
      the fuel pump relay is probably in the relay group on the top of the battery, near what is called the 'waterfall' of wires. if you take a look and find that one is broken, odds are you've found the problem.

ECU - you could try disconnecting the battery for awhile, let the ECU reconfigure. might work.

ground - not entirely sure about that one.

hopefully other ppl can offer other ideas. good luck

5. 03-27-2008 02:14 PM #5
      do the interior lights come on? What happens when you turn the key? does it crank at all just no spark? Give as much detail as possible- it could be a multitude of things.

6. 03-27-2008 02:19 PM #6
      I'll check the ECU and Fuel Pump Relay.

Yes, the interior lights come on. All lights come on. When I turn the ignition, it's trying and trying, but yeah, seems to not spark to get the engine going.

If I then let off the ignition, all the indicator lines will eventually go away, but the Battery light remains. Not sure if this is normal, but thought I would throw that out there.

Thanks for your help.

Billy

7. 03-27-2008 03:25 PM #7
      I removed the battery completely, and found the ground. It looks like it is in tact. No corrosion or anything.

As far as the Fuel Pump Relay, I'm not sure where that is. I don't see a waterfall of wires near the battey. I thought I had find it, and removed a wire cover and it seems to be just two rubber hoses.

Thanks,

Billy

8. 03-27-2008 03:55 PM #8
      check coils, belts good?, whats the milage?

9. 03-27-2008 03:56 PM #9
      and get alternator tested

10. 03-27-2008 03:58 PM #10
      Vdub,

Mileage is just under 74k. Belts look nice and tight. How do I check the coils?

Thanks,

Billy

11. 03-27-2008 07:09 PM #11
      Checked the coils. They are all providing a spark. Went ahead and changed out the spark plugs as they were looking a little crummy. Not superbad, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to change them out.

So, doesn't seem like a problem with the battery. Coils and plugs are good. Ground is good. Anyone have any more information about the fuel pump relay?

Thanks,

Billy

12. 03-27-2008 11:21 PM #12
      bump

13. 03-29-2008 01:26 AM #13
      NEEDS FUEL PUMP

14. 03-29-2008 04:28 PM #14
      When you checked the plugs for spark, I assume you pulled a plug and grounded it against the block or frame and turned the car over?

Did you smell gas? You should have. Was the plug you pulled wet?

If not, I would suspect a fuel delivery problem. Perhaps a relay or fuse for fuel pump. Or the fuel pump itself but it just stopped which doesn't sound like a pump wore out.
      So check the fuse for the fuel pump and swap out the relay. There should be info here to figure out how.

Search is your friend.

Good luck.

15. 03-29-2008 04:36 PM #15
      try to systematically check the fuel system; as a last resort, you could try disconnecting the line that goes from the gas tank into the fuel filter and see if it squirts fuel when you're trying to start. just be careful with the clip under there.