Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Small crack near wastegate on K03s

1. 12-07-2007 09:28 AM #1
      I recently purchased a K03s turbo here on the vortex. It arrived yesterday, but not in the condition I expected. It had to dp mounting studs missing and one broke off. But the worste part was a crack in the cast iron housing right next to the wastegate door. It runs from the waste gate opening towards the turbo for about 3/4" The seller was online last night and I asked him about it and he said:

"(4:00 PM 12-6-2007) ********: any turbo housing has slight cracks it is a perfect working turbo i can assure you, and the studs i didnt have time to remove, but you want to remove and thread bolts in there, the studs with nuts leak.
      (4:02 PM 12-6-2007) ********: ask around the small cracks are definitely normal though"

I can fix the studs, but I think the crack is a huge problem. Especially since i planned on using on my racecar. I'd like to hear what others think.
      Thank you, Mark

Modified by gtschallenge at 6:36 AM 12-7-2007

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan-S, 2003 Jetta 1.8t GT28RS
      12-07-2007 09:42 AM #2
      IMO send it back for a refund.

When I shipped my KO3s after I went BT it was in perfect working condition with no cracks at all. I've seen tons of other sales in these forums with turbo's in similar top condition, you shouldn't settle for one that's a mess.

Howto's, info, etc:
      http://www.izvw.com

Vehicles
      Land Rovers - Audi
      12-07-2007 09:46 AM #3
      Your fine man. I've been running these cracks on my K04 for 25k miles so far. No issues.

VW/Audi/German Car T-Shirts - CHEAP ----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post82955767

4. 12-07-2007 02:20 PM #4
      But if driving on the street caused that crack, then what would putting it in a racecar and running it under race conditions do to it? Racing builds up much more heat than street driving.

I'm going to repair the studs and do a little repair work on the crack. I told the seller that the decent thing to do would be to refund1/3 of the money ($50). If he does, all is fine with me. If not, I'll let everyone know who it is since he has many other things for sale on Vortex andf I don't want to see others get burned.

5. 12-07-2007 04:38 PM #5
      It'll be fine. Turbo's get hot, and have to eventually cool down. Especially baby turbos like these that get pushed so hard. As long as it holds boost correctly I wouldn't see a problem with it.
      ░░░░░░ .. R13 5
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ .. ╚╬╬╝
      ░░░░░░ .... 24

Vehicles
      00 GTI 1.8BT
      12-10-2007 03:41 PM #6
      FYI your gunna have one hell of a time getting that broken bolt out of the housing (talking from personal exp).

Oh and with the new gaskets you will be getting from the dealer (highly recommend) for the turbo they are metal and not the stock meterial that VW put on it from the factory. So using studs or bolts wont make a differance if you get them on right and they are securely tight then it wont leak.

Have fun puting it on. Me and my buddy sure did