Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Newer car with more miles, or older car with less miles?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      95 M3, 05 Silverado, 98 Beetle
      05-29-2007 10:47 PM #1
      If you were purchasing a used car, and had two to choose from, would you buy one that was newer with more miles, or an older one with less miles, assuming everything else was equal (condition, records, ect). So let us take a 1996 Jetta with 45,500 miles or a 1999 Jetta with 83,000, for example (any car works).

I was discussing this with a friend and I wanted to know what most people would do.

2. 05-29-2007 10:50 PM #2
      what motor?

Vehicles
      2005 Acura EL
      05-29-2007 10:51 PM #3
      Depends on the car and how big the spread I suppose. For your example, probably the 96 personally.

4. Banned
      05-29-2007 10:51 PM #4
      Older car with less miles.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      95 M3, 05 Silverado, 98 Beetle
      05-29-2007 10:52 PM #5
      I'm not actually buying any car, niether is he, just trying to settle an argument. I believe people would take the older car, he disagrees.

6. 05-29-2007 10:57 PM #6
      Id find out where the guy lives that comes into work, and buys a new car, while trading in his old car, which he has owned for about 2 months... with ~300 miles on them lives... and then buy them from him.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

Vehicles
      1998 Nissan 200SX SE-R, 1986 Chevrolet Suburban C20
      05-29-2007 10:58 PM #7
      Mileage isn't the important M-word. Maintenance is. What do the records on these 2 things look like?

Vehicles
      1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      05-29-2007 10:59 PM #8
      I'm having the same dillemma with 5th-gen Maximas.

For about $12k, I can get:

-A 2000-2001 with lower miles (~60-70k) but 3.0L 220-227hp VQ...

or...

-A 2002 (maybe 2003) with higher (near/at/over 100k) miles but 3.5L 255hp VQ and xenon headlights.

People say miles don't matter as much as how well the car was maintained but lower miles offer less potential for abuse plus the car won't be due for pricer higher mileage part replacement. Plus, won't more miles make the "newer" car older than the "older" car in a way?

In the end, I think I might settle for a lower mile versus a slightly newer car.

Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      05-29-2007 11:29 PM #9
      If the cars are exactly the same (engine, body style) in all other way but year and milage:
      Hard to say. The one with more records. That being the same, it depends on what I think the driving style was. If the low milage car had all city with short trips and the high milage was all highway, the high milage every time. This is the case more than many think. Now if somehow I knew they had similar driving patterns, the older car.
      Different body style/engine, I go with what i prefer. Most of the time, but not always, thats the new one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      2004 A4 1.8TQMS
      05-29-2007 11:39 PM #10
      If the cars are 8 years and 11 years old (like in the OP's example) then the lower miles. (Especially when the example gives the newer one ~2X the miles.)

If the cars are, say, 3 years and 6 years old, then the newer one.

I chose an 04 A4 with 57K over 02s, 03s with lower miles.

11. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-29-2007 11:44 PM #11
      Simple rule of thumb:

Miles effects mechanicals. But most mechanicals can be kept in check and repaired as necessary (for example- wheel bearings, brakes, even en engine can be replaced- but who wants to replace a steering gear or steering column?).

Age effects electrical parts and rubber/plastic, but can also effect mechanicals if they are not used frequently enough.

So a 2005 car with 200k miles is probably going to be mostly highway miles, and if the car was maintained ands repaired as needed- it should be good for a lot more miles.
      On the flip side- a 1990 car with just 20k miles will have plastic parts and rubber parts and possibly electrical parts that need repair- and if the vehicle wasn't driven enough- the seals in the engine and tranny and a/c and cooling system and wheel bearing could also be needing attention even with low miles.

|˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

12. 05-30-2007 12:23 AM #12
      How about an older car with FEWER miles.

Use "less" for something you can't count, and "fewer" for something you can.

For example: fewer cars, less traffic.

it's = it is
      its = possessive of "it"

13. 05-30-2007 12:27 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by VWestlife »

Use "less" for something you can't count, and "fewer" for something you can.

For example: fewer cars, less traffic.

I have a friend just like you! He's an English major...

Anyways, yes. Get the older car with fewer miles!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      05-30-2007 12:33 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by VWestlife »

Wheres the prepositional phrase in this sentence? I suck at the englishes.
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

15. 05-30-2007 01:10 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by 2Cor »
      Wheres the prepositional phrase in this sentence? I suck at the englishes.

That wasn't a sentence; that was a fragment. You still gotta use correct grammar even when you're breaking the rules of sentence structure!

it's = it is
      its = possessive of "it"

16. Senior Member
      05-30-2007 10:24 AM #16
      (Do you also assume the same generation model with the same engine, transmission, options, etc.?)

If you know what kind of mileage was driven, pick the one with the gentler miles (highway miles in long enough trips to get fully warmed up).

If not, the newer higher mileage car is likely a better gamble if the service records show good maintenance. Higher mileage is more likely to be highway miles; very low mileage is often cold start short trips or city miles. Also, within the same generation of car with the same engine and other stuff, the newer year is likely to have minor improvements in reliability as the manufacturer notices what frequent annoying repairs have been occurring with earlier years.

Of course, if your year range crosses model generations (e.g. 1996 Jetta vs. 1999 New Jetta), then the difference in model generations is a big factor (which generation do you prefer?).

17. 05-30-2007 10:29 AM #17
      It really depends on what you are looking for. I personally think that the lower millage one is better, b/c than you can drive it for longer and usually parts are cheaper on older cars so if there were maintenance than it would most likely be cheaper.

But it depends on what you are looking for personally.

Vehicles
      86 Golf, 90 Corrado, 88 & 91 GLI, 91 MR2T
      05-30-2007 10:32 AM #18
      the question is not specific enough, it all depends on what make and what engine model, for example a well maintained old honda with high milage will be as reliable as a new honda with low milage