Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Reusing Strecth Bolts.

1. 05-11-2006 06:22 PM #1
      anyone reuse their engine mount stretch bolts when doing the timing belt/water pump?

I have resued the stretch bolts on my dogbone without any issues....just curious if its ok to reuse the engine mounts.

Sad thing.....If I went to a mechanic, I bet they would reuse them.

2. 05-11-2006 06:29 PM #2
      personally i wouldnt reuse em, but if i had to or was going to it would be only once.

im sure someone has a story about how someone they know reused a stretch bolt 17 times and had no problem, but hey thats the internet for ya...

3. 05-11-2006 06:30 PM #3
      Funny.....VW fish stories.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI
      05-11-2006 06:49 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by misfit77 »

Sad thing.....If I went to a mechanic, I bet they would reuse them.

The local VW place claimed to reuse the crank bolts when I went shopping for a new one awhile back. I reused mine. It's been almost 4 years, I think, 2 reinstalls and no problems. I meant to replace it the 2nd time I did the crank seal, but you know.....

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      05-11-2006 08:48 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by vwboomer2 »
      The local VW place claimed to reuse the crank bolts when I went shopping for a new one awhile back. I reused mine. It's been almost 4 years, I think, 2 reinstalls and no problems.

Consider yourself very lucky.

Build: Project sc2020

My G60 now on MS3 | 4Cyl Torque Plate Rental | 02M Mounts

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-11-2006 10:57 PM #6
      Don't reuse the bolts. They are designed to be used one time and one time only! Get new bolts and be safe...
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

7. 05-12-2006 01:42 AM #7
      I have reused a lot of stretch bolts, simply because new ones were not available on my allotted time. However, I always order them, and replace later.

Most of the time, when I pull out any stretch bolt, I replace it with ARP hardware, since it is reusable.

8. 05-12-2006 02:37 AM #8
      Guess what....dealer in tucson doesnt even stock them....therefore, they dont replace them during their maintenance jobs.

Kind of scary, there are many VW's out there with reused bolts.

Well my car is apart and i have no choice. I can replace them later.

Vehicles
      85 ABAT,10 CCTA Tigger
      05-12-2006 10:57 PM #9
      If you are talking about the 2 18mm hex bolts on the mount, I would re use them. torque them properly, it's usually the mount threads that get damaged when people over torque(aluminum). the key stretch bolts that should never be re used are crank, rod, head, pully, pressure plate, clutch bolts. if you have to torque them, then apply 90 or 180 degree turns further, replace. HTH

10. 05-13-2006 10:50 PM #10
      I've reused the same engine mount bolts countless times with no problems as long as they look fine. One thing I found is to make sure there isn't a weight load on the mounts when loosening and tightening the bolts. The motor mount holes can strip quite easily. Use a floor jack under the engine to do this. If you jack the engine up too high or too low you can load the bolts/mounts.

11. 05-14-2006 02:52 PM #11
      I replaced mine on my timing belt job just becasue i don't need the headache if something goes wrong. I'm sure 98% of the time one can reuse them but its the 2% i'm affraid of. I would rather play that safe

12. 05-14-2006 07:58 PM #12
      well I inspected the bolts before reusing...they were not stretched excessively.

wish me luck!