Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: skid plate for mk2 vr

1. 04-14-2006 08:06 PM #1
      looking for a skid plate for a 90 mk2 golf with a vr6
      does such a thing exist or does it have to be custom fabricated.

2. 04-15-2006 12:57 PM #2
      Found a place for mk3 cars
      http://www.c3cars.com/parts.cf...=6053
      Might be worth a phone call to find out about mk2 cars.
      I built my own for my Golf3. I used diamond plate I had laying around but flat/plain aluminum will obviously be cheaper.
      An entire sheet of the diamond plate (3/16th thick, 4'x8') was $220 at my local metal supply dealer. Plus I used about $25 worth of sawz-all blades, and a large peice of card board as a template. The sheet is big enough to do 2 skid plates.

I bent it between two trees growing close together. Cut it with 12teeth/inch blades(best). Thick aluminum is easily smoothed if you're looking show quality, so roundinding the edges with a file will be like sanding wood. My plate is intended for protection from leaving the surface of the earth and impacting large rocks that frequently happen in rally-cross. Technically you could locate thinner (1/8th in) aluminum and be safe if you're just doing it for a lowered street car.

Modified by inski21 at 5:58 PM 4-15-2006

3. 04-15-2006 09:36 PM #3
      nice fab work i will give them a call and see what they can do. also where were the mounting points that you used to bolt the skid plate to the sub frame

4. 04-16-2006 12:47 AM #4
      on mk3s there are 2 existing holes in the back of the sub-frame, just aft of the steering rack. And on the front there are 2 existing holes in the radiator support, i think its the radiator support. The holes are just behind the radiator and lower in what ever fixture that is.

Modified by inski21 at 5:49 AM 4-16-2006