Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 94 jetta 2.0 won't start after new battery

1. 08-01-2004 06:37 PM #1
      My girlz 94 Jetta recently neede a new battery. Original bought the farm after 120K. Anyway, car will not start, all electronics come on radio, (in SAFE mode), lights etc as supposed to. No fire though. Odometer flashes IN02 code whe key is turned then goes back to displaying mileage. Has anyone else experienced this if so is it an ECU ignition control module problem or what? I am stumped. Is it a starter soleniod issue, ig switch? SOMEONE please let me know so I can get this thing back running and get her out of my car!!! Thanks.

2. 08-01-2004 10:03 PM #2
      I'm assuming that it does not crank, let alone not fire. Could be battery, starter, ign switch. Make sure battery is actually good. If manual, try bump starting. Make sure starter is getting voltage. Might want to buy a remote under hood starter switch to bypass ign switch. I don't think IN02 should prevent starting, however I don't have my Bentley manual nearby.

Vehicles
      93 Cabby, 04 Passat, 4mo/5spd/1.8T/wagon
      08-02-2004 02:39 PM #3
      my 96 is having a similar issue. It was acting as if the battery was dying. the starter has been making a whining noise for about 2 years now and I thought we would just replace the starter. We replaced it and the battery. Now when we go to start is the starter just keeps on chugging along. Am I a victim of a bad ignition switch.

Any thougts.

Steve

Vehicles
      93 Cabby, 04 Passat, 4mo/5spd/1.8T/wagon
      08-02-2004 04:22 PM #4
      bump

5. 08-02-2004 08:08 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Stevesvws »
      my 96 is having a similar issue. It was acting as if the battery was dying. the starter has been making a whining noise for about 2 years now and I thought we would just replace the starter. We replaced it and the battery. Now when we go to start is the starter just keeps on chugging along. Am I a victim of a bad ignition switch.

Any thougts.

Steve

Before you condemn the switch, you need to determine if you're getting fuel and spark. For spark, get a $30 timing light at Pep Boys, clip it to each lead (coil, cyls 1,2,3,4) and see if it flashes when you crank the motor. For fuel, first listen for the fuel pump to switch on, then you might want to consider an inline fuel pressure gauge. If fuel and spark are good, then cam timing is probably off.

To make things clear, in the case of the original poster, apparently the starter does not engage, suggesting the conditions I listed above. I could be the ignition switch in both his and your case however.